Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Sacred Geometry: A Primer

So on Friday I had the opportunity to go to this workshop with Dr. Lisa DeLong. I was really excited for this workshop because it was about geometry, because I've gotten to hear Lisa DeLong before and because she got her doctorate at the Prince's School of Traditional Arts and she now teaches there. It was indeed a good workshop, probably what I was most excited about was getting instructions and cheat sheets (if you will) for some patterns based on four, eight and a seal of Salomon.
I really liked something that she said, she was talking about how with a compass and a straight edge you can make about anything in geometry because when you connect or overlap circles, straight lines become possible and from there the possibilities are endless.
She also talked about how rules or laws, rather than being restricting as is commonly thought, can open up all sorts of possibilities, I agree, in fact that's sort of what my series Hex is all about. These are three of several examples of variations on the same design/pattern.
Untitled
Watercolor and Sumi Ink
9x9in
2011
Series: Hex
Untitled/Pattern
Watercolor and Sumi ink
9x9in
2011
Series: Hex
Untitled
watercolor and sumi ink
9x9 in
2011
Series: Hex


PS You should also check out this lecture on the Beauty and Belief exhibit.

No comments:

Post a Comment