Friday, September 21, 2012

Hex Artist Statement

In my studies of traditional arts and craftsmanship, I was delighted to discover sacred geometry and hand drafting with compass and straight edge. These techniques were crucial to the art and architecture of the golden age of Greece and later the renaissance. I first learned about working with a compass and straight edge in college, studying with Wulf Barsch. My discovery of sacred geometry has since blossomed into a love for geometric patterns and designs and lead to an increased interest in Islamic art through the geometric patterns so prevalent there. In this series I have been exploring the possibilities of the number six or the hexagonal shape, in so doing I have relied heavily on Islamic art and other geometric traditions and thrilled as I’ve learned the secrets to these beautiful patterns and designs.
I love what I do over all but there are a few things that I didn't expect to come along with this job title. I've been getting a show application ready and in doing so I've taken what feels like a million pictures of my work which I've then cropped and picked the best images, resized etc. I've been wondering if I should have taken a photography class or two in school. Oh well, it still beats sitting in a cubical somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment