Thursday, September 13, 2012

Genesis

This piece comes from Abraham 4:6-7 and Moses 2: 6. These verses talk about an expanse or a firmament and I looked in the footnotes to try and better understand what those words meant, to get a better picture of what was going on. In Moses 2:6, the footnote refers one to Facsimile 2, and figure 4. I think from here I remembered something that I'd read or seen in Hugh Nibley's book One Eternal Round and I researched more in that book. In looking back on my notes for this piece, there are thoughts like:
-divide water from water
-like water in the atmosphere and water below?
- boat belongs to the moon and the sun
-Sokar bird (that's an Egyptian thing I believe)
-connection to stars
-an ocean of stars
-the rising sun emerging from the lower regions
I wish I'd thought to start blogging about this when I'd made the painting because I'm sure I could have explained it better then. I do remember that the top corners are supposed to be clouds, the water in the sky and the bottom corners are the ocean.

Watercolor
9x9in
2012
Series: Genesis
Photo by Hawkinson Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment