Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Blast From the Past

So this photo is also a blast from the past. I'm not certian where this was, it must have been in one of the apartments I lived in but I don't know which one.
Last week I showed the works I'd kept from middle school and this is one of my masterpieces from high school. Some background: for a long time I had planned on being a cartoonist and creating a series like Calvin and Hobbes, which I love. In high school I had a cartoon character named Steve the monkey. In my second year of art in high school (also my senior year) I started what might be loosely called a series with Steve. I believe my first piece in the series, was a take on Andy Warhol's prints of Marylin Monroe, I used a similar color scheme and Steve, or it might have been his alter ego Super Steve.
Anyway this piece came about because I listened to the Beatles 1 album and I really liked this picture that was in it somewhere. This piece is Steve as the Beatles in that piece. I drew the figures in colored pencil and air brushed the background. I used to love air brushing.
It's a little boggling at times to see where I started out and where I am now.

No comments:

Post a Comment