Friday, December 27, 2013

Straight Lines

I remember Wulf saying in a class (probably an earlier drawing class) that part of being an artist in the days of apprentices, journeymen and masters etc. were expected as a part of their training , to draw straight lines and circles without the aid of rulers or compasses. Yesterday I was drawing out lines on graph paper and I was thinking about that. I tried drawing straight lines over the lines on the graph paper, they were mostly not so straight, maybe a little (or a lot) wobbly. I was wondering if it's actually possible to draw a completely straight line without a ruler etc. or if it's just another skill that's been lost over the years.
Oh yeah, thinking about all that also made me wonder, how did people ever make the first straight lines to make rulers or whatever? Also, what about the first 90 degree angle?

No comments:

Post a Comment