Thursday, July 26, 2012

Genesis

In Genesis an account is given of how God created the earth. In reading the account my interest was captured by how simply such complicated processes were described and I felt inspired to illustrate the account for myself and create a better picture of the events. For a time I struggled with how to visualize such lofty and well known material so I looked to the work of several artists including Dürer, Michelangelo, and da Vinci. Though my style significantly differs from the styles of those artists, I did follow their examples and use of symbolism and geometry in the composition of my work. The watercolors in this series are all square; the square is the most basic and diverse of the geometric shapes and it is also symbolic of the earth, I feel that such incorporation of symbolism and geometry enriches the work.

This is a trip through the series as it currently stands. The first piece I made for this series, taken from Genesis 1:1-2 and Abraham 4:2. The color red is a symbol of the earth, as is the square, blue and circles symbolize heaven.


Genesis I
watercolor
9x9in
2012
Series: Genesis
Photo by Hawkinson Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment