Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Tools of the Trade

In high school I didn't really appreciate too much about my art supplies, I used whatever I had or needed. In my first high school art class we were assigned to do a study off of a drawing/etching/engraving by Albrecht Durer. I worked very hard on the piece and was pleased by the way it turned out. I used three different pens, something you could tell on close inspection. When I took the piece home I proudly displayed it in my room, and then one day some water flooded through the ceiling in my bedroom and among other things, my drawing was ruined. That year for Christmas my parents, who felt bad about what happened, got me a set of micron pens that were waterproof.
Since that time that's pretty much all I've used for my pen and ink
needs art wise. They're good pens, come in different tip sizes and they've lasted fairly well. They also claim to be archival although I don't know how accurate that claim it, for now I'm taking them at their word.
I use 05, 03, and 01. The only problem is that they're not great for major shaded areas but I suppose I really should be using something else for major shading anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment