Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Artist Statement


I have written artist's statement's before but I never loved them and they more applied to a specific series than to my work as a whole. I recently wrote an artist's statement that I'm really pleased with and which sums up what I'm about as an artist. It will likely change but for now I'm excited. Here it is:

Numbers, shapes and colors all have a meaning which can deepen and enrich a piece, as an artist I am intrigued and fascinated by symbolism. Throughout the years symbolism and art have gone hand in hand. Before widespread literacy and availability of books symbolism in art was essential in conveying meaning and stories to the masses. The world around us is loaded with items that have become symbols and I enjoy learning their meaning and incorporating them into my art, whether geometric or Islamic designs, landscape or still life.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment