Saturday, January 15, 2011

I really like the pattern of four circles overlapping one, but it is very different visually when the sections are filled in. With sections filled in the pattern is bold and graphic it's different and it's not really what I'm looking for but that's what what a study's all about I suppose. It was interesting to see the difference in it when I made the background green, also, note to self: pay attention to how the pattern lays out, and whether there's half the design hanging off. On the plus side of this study, I've been wanting to use color for a while but not to paint, which led to the use of prismacolor pencils and I do like the jewel tone colors. I apologize for the blurry photo below, I would love to be a great photographer but I am not there yet.



I went through most of my time studying art not having any one clear definition of art, this may seem strange, I'm sure that in almost any other branch of study the course of study would and could be clearly defined but to ask the definition of art, even or perhaps especially in an academic environment is likely to produce a heated debate because just about everyone in the room has their own opinion and most of them do not match up. I have adopted a definition offered me by my mentor, who was reluctant to offer it, I think it was one of my last years of school that he named it: art is craftsmanship plus inspiration. I feel good about getting behind such a definition, I don't really care for the phrase "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" taste may be in the eye of the beholder but whether one loves something or not does not change it's beauty. An example, both farm land and red rocks can be beautiful sights to behold, after driving through either for long periods of time I'm not crazy about either but that doesn't change the beauty that's there. I'm not crazy about tapestries or needle point but there is, or at least can be, real craftsman(woman)ship involved in making them. Right now my work, by the above definition is not art, it could be craftsmanship or in some cases, as the piece photographed, not even craftsmanship. Not every piece I make has to be art, but I hope that as I progress I will make fewer pieces that are craftsmanship or less. I'm starting out and even prodigies (not that I am or was one) must progress or they go backwards. Some things to think about for me and anyone who reads.

No comments:

Post a Comment