Friday, October 22, 2010

The Sketchbook Project

A few years ago I was in a painting class and the teacher wanted us to do a moleskine project; due to scheduling conflicts I didn't end up staying in the class but I thought that it was a cool idea and vowed I'd still do the project... until reality and homework hit.
Now you may wonder what a moleskine is and what a moleskine project might entail and I'll tell you. Moleskine is apparently a very old and very famous brand of notebook/sketchbook that lots of cool and famous people have used over the years. The moleskine project... I don't know that it's something that's organized in anyway but people all over the place fill their moleskine sketchbooks with art work that has a common theme. In the painting class that I almost took we decided on some rules for our project.
Rule 1 was that we all had to have the same size and type of moleskine book
Rule 2 was that all the pages in the book had to be filled, front and back
Rule 3 was that we had to have some sort of theme for our books
Rule 4 was that we had to have a rule about the media/mediums used in the book
and Rule 5 was that it was due by a set date.

As I said I intended to carry out this project even though I ended up dropping the class, but while moleskine notebooks are wonderful I'm sure, they're also more than I can bring myself to spend for a little book, so since I wasn't actually in the class I bought a knock off notebook.
I was recently reminded about this project by a friend who actually stayed in the class and completed the project and I decided to give it another shot. I'm still not willing to buy an actual moleskine notebook and I can't find the knock off brand I got the last time around so it's now the Sketchbook Project and I'm using an Utrecht brand sketch book. Here's the guide that I've set myself in the project:
That all the pages in the book have to be filled, front and back
That there has to be a theme; my theme will be temples and cathedrals
That there has to be a media/medium rule for the book; no painting in this book, just pencils, pens, etc.
There is a due date set; the sketchbook I got is bigger than the moleskine books so I gave myself a longer time period, the project has to be completed by January 1, 2011.

I'll post pictures as the project progresses, hopefully this will be a fun and stimulating project.

No comments:

Post a Comment