Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Sacred Geometry

In high school geometry was one of my least favorite subjects, I had a hard time with it and I had a weird teacher; I was surprised, when in college I came to enjoy something called sacred geometry. Geometry had been my least favorite math subject, I learned about sacred geometry in my art classes. Sacred geometry is unlike regular geometry in that regular geometry deals with numbers where sacred geometry works visually. In the golden age of Greece it is believed that sacred geometry was practiced and responsible for the acclaimed beauty. As the renaissance began the knowledge of ancient Greece and Rome was recovered and painters such as Albrecht Durer and Leonardo da Vinci learned sacred geometry from Fra Luca Pacioli.
Today sacred geometry is not a widely known area of study, and since hearing about it I've been trying to learn more about it, to understand it better and to include it in my art work. For anyone interested in learning more about sacred geometry I recommend Sacred Geometry by Miranda Lundy and other Little Wooden Books.


Untitled
Watercolor
9X9in.
2009
Series: Rose Windows

No comments:

Post a Comment